• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

How often should I wash my skin?

TheAppleCore

Bluelighter
As in, large, flat outside surfaces of the body? Is our skin really meant to be regularly lathered in caustic soaps, and dried of its natural oils? Most of the surface of the body will not develop unpleasant odor when left unwashed. Is there a practical, hygienic reason for regularly washing the entire surface of the body?

I say shower daily; but that doesn't necessarily mean that you should drench every inch of your body in soap and shampoo every time you shower either. Use soap maybe every other time or less, (depending on personal factors) and only use shampoo/conditioner once a week or less. (In my opinion)

I really don't think there is a practical hygienic reason to cover your entire body in soaps every time you wash, but i think just the act of washing yourself with water every day is definitely helpful so you remain fresh. Yep , just my opinions

^Agree with this. I actually practically never use shampoo or conditioner and my hairs fine. However i use body wash/soap alot more, but still no where near every time i shower, and usually only on the parts of my body that actually are dirty.

I completely agree with the above posters. I take a shower daily but I don't use soap everytime, as it makes my skin too dry. I used to be fanatical about washing my face with all kinds of expensive soaps and whatnot. I now just use water. My skin now has less acne and feels healthier. It's all hype. Humans have existed for thousand of years with no soap just fine.

Use soap daily. Use a brush to exfoliate and stimulate healthy skin reproduction.

As I have some serious worries about skin, I have actually leant how to make my own soap from scratch (based on vegetable oil and lye) and have never gone back to using market soaps. When done properly (ie. there is a tiny bit more oil than the lye can consume), the soap actually restores oil to dry skin rather than drying it further. I've been using it every day and have never felt better skin-wise. The soap is also not perfumed, thus allowing the skin to retain its own pleasant clean odour.

I would definitely recommend you try it out if you're concerned :)

BE CAREFUL with lye! It can burn your skin if you don't handle it correctly!

220px-Sodium_hydroxide_burn.png

I'd rather save myself the trouble and buy some Oil of Olay!

As I have some serious worries about skin, I have actually leant how to make my own soap from scratch (based on vegetable oil and lye) and have never gone back to using market soaps. When done properly (ie. there is a tiny bit more oil than the lye can consume), the soap actually restores oil to dry skin rather than drying it further. I've been using it every day and have never felt better skin-wise. The soap is also not perfumed, thus allowing the skin to retain its own pleasant clean odour.

I would definitely recommend you try it out if you're concerned :)

BE CAREFUL with lye! It can burn your skin if you don't handle it correctly!

220px-Sodium_hydroxide_burn.png

I'd rather save myself the trouble and buy some Oil of Olay!

I'd rather not buy Oil of Olay. :p

Could you post the "recipe," Jam? Please and thank you.

I stick with The Soap Works' Pumice bars. They are nice and cheap and don't dry out skin too much. It gets out tough stains nicely also.

As for how often I wash skin, every day in the summer and/or if I have been exercising excessively lately. Every two days in the winter or else skin gets too dry.

Yes, it goes without saying that one who handles lye must know just how powerful it is - the best way to do this is to imagine that you are handling concentrated sulphuric acid (and lye DOES fume as it is mixed with water).

AP: It is hard to post a recipe as soapmaking is closer to chemical synth than it is to cooking.

Very roughly, the absolute simplest soap can go something like this:

20lb Olive Oil
2.6lb NAOH
7.5lb Water

- The lye-solution is prepared by slowly pouring the lye into the water (and not the other way around) while stirring. Goggles and gloves are a must. It will go very hot and start fuming...

- The oil is heated (in a non-aluminum, non-teflon pan), some people suggest to bring it up to the same heat as the lye, but I find this unncessary.

- The lye-soln. is carefully poured onto the oil while stirring vigorously.

- Mixture will go through several phases, must be continuously mixed and stirred, until it reaches pudding-like consistency (it should be opaque too). This is the trickiest part, as it can take anywhere from 10secs to 1hr (although with olive oil it almost always takes a long while).

- From here many methods differ, the easiest being to turn down the heat and pour this stuff into a mold. From there, if given enough time (=weeks) it will self-propel its own reaction and eventually harden. You can test if it is finished by placing it near the tip of your tongue - if it "zaps" you then it is still not ready.

The subject is surprisingly deep and complicated, and the above is an extremely rudimentary guideline.

I've been tinkering with it the past year or so and have finally settled on a soap that contains no less than 7 different oils in different proportions, the stars being olive and avocado oils. The latter is amazing for skin, being particularly rich in vitamin E amongst other things.

Curiously, the method is almost identical to making biodiesel from clean, unused oil, with the exception that biodiesel requires the lye to be mixed with methanol first.

Last edited:
I think that you don't need to use soap at all. I never use soap in the shower, I just make sure the water carries a lot of the dirt, and mostly I do this simply by massaging my armpits while running water over it, along with the other private parts.

I've never heard that I was producing any odour. At least, not an unpleasant one....

But I think having hair, or not, makes a real difference. Sometimes when I'm totally unshaven the smell of sweat does linger, and I would need to use soap.

I wash every day. I just feel better when I do. Even if it wasn't physically necessary for health I like it because of the way it makes me feel.